Author Topic: Create a database of ingame messages  (Read 4039 times)

Deckard

Create a database of ingame messages
« on: 12 June 2009, 12:43:05 »
i think this may have been suggested before, but the uploading of other messages specifically the space monitoring/espionage action, the data for time could be tied to the player account, and could just be a sum of past espionage reports for x:xx time (maybe broken down into 5 min segments), while keeping the last 50 or so uploads date & time associated with the uploading account (for error checking & duplicate uploads)

also another item to upload could be harvest reports to mark in the galaxy view invisible debris fields (this would probably need some type of automatic clearing as what happens ingame). finally a debris field search in gtool, that would include these invisible debris fields.

for those who are asking for some things like a timer for use with phalanxing/crashing remember these guys probably play ogame but this is a database tool not a timing tool and thus adding it in would be a whole new area of work for them (although i'de also love it if you did take on the challenge of incorporating some timing items with the toolbar).

from: http://www.mathe-informatik.de/forum/index.php?open=posts&thread=1918&sub=27
« Last Edit: 30 June 2009, 22:34:43 by DieMade »

Offline eX0du5

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Create a database of ingame messages
« Reply #1 on: 12 June 2009, 13:49:50 »
also another item to upload could be harvest reports to mark in the galaxy view invisible debris fields (this would probably need some type of automatic clearing as what happens ingame). finally a debris field search in gtool, that would include these invisible debris fields.

This will not come within the galaxytool. More effort to store and remove that stuff than it would really help.
I don't see the real benefit for you if you have 100 such entries in the galaxytool. Would you then send 100 probes to create a new debris field to monitor when they are harvested? Or would you monitor just 2-3 systems. In that case you can do that on your own with pencil and paper.

Offline ThePatriot

• Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 June 2009, 14:21:19 »
you can't monitor invisible debris fields automatically
all you can do is try to send a recycler to this position and see if it works, a thing the galaxytool can't do

Offline bontchev

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 June 2009, 09:45:28 »
Maybe not in GT, but an automatically updated database of in-game messages would definitely be useful. Many times I've deleted reports that somebody has spied me, so that they don't clutter the mailbox - and then found myself asking, "which planets did he spy and at what time?". Or I might have deleted by mistake a recycling report which I should post with my combat report to the forum.

The maintenance of the database (deletion of messages, perhaps moving them into folders) would have to be, of course, manual.

There used to be a repository of combat reports (also a very useful thing - there are several around, most of them Russian) that could also keep track of the in-game messages - but, unfortunately, it no longer does so.. :(

Offline eX0du5

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 June 2009, 10:55:56 »
In general it might be a good idea to store all messages.
But is that needed in the galaxytool? Would you like to share those messages? Otherwise it would be enough to create a "message" extension for firefox.

Offline ThePatriot

• Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 June 2009, 13:08:30 »
the Ogame Redesign has a Recycle-bin folder
maybe that would do the job...

Offline bontchev

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 June 2009, 10:24:04 »
But is that needed in the galaxytool? Would you like to share those messages?

Probably not. I was just commenting on the idea that a database of in-game messages (for the player) would be a nice tool to have.

Otherwise it would be enough to create a "message" extension for firefox.
Probably - and keeping the messages on the local computer, instead of on a remote server, would be even better (the user wouldn't have to find a hosting service) - but the tool must do a bit more than just storing the messages. It should allow the user to move the messages into user-created folders, allow different kinds of searches (e.g., by date range, message type, etc.) and so on.

Yes, the Recycle bin in the new user interface is very helpful - but I'd like something a bit more sophisticated than that...

Offline Jmb

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 June 2009, 18:25:16 »
espionage actions could be useful to other members of the alliance by giving everybody and idea of online times.

you could add a table for times and just divide it in periods of time (by hour for example) and increasing by one once a report falls in that time period. in the end you could get a table that shows the day 0-24hrs divided by hour and with bars of what are the possible online times.

the problem is that it would be difficult to identify if the message of espionage action was already uploaded, so you could increase the values with wrong information.

also its true that its a little bit of a problem to manage to get it. mainly because there is no linkable player name.
« Last Edit: 30 June 2009, 20:42:11 by Jmb »
Jmb

Offline eX0du5

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 July 2009, 22:09:03 »
I would like to have a firefox extension for it which could also send collected information (all at once) to the galaxytool to share it with other users.

The problem here is just: "time". I don't have the time to create this new kind of extension beside the galaxytool + toolbar.
But from a technical perspective this is no problem for a FF extension.

Offline bontchev

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 31 July 2009, 16:36:14 »
There is a GreaseMonkey script like that (saves all messages in a local file) on userscripts.org - but it is for the Spanish servers only and I couldn't figure out how to make it work on anything else. :(

Offline Jmb

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 31 July 2009, 16:52:16 »
any idea of how that script is called?
Jmb