Author Topic: collect stats on people probing you  (Read 4836 times)

Offline eX0du5

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: collect stats on people probing you
« Reply #15 on: 18 December 2010, 19:25:42 »
Colors are just a first draft :-)
Same to the query which is printed out on the screen which will be removed later.

I am planning a dropdown to show for "weekday", "weekend", "Monday" till "Sunday". So you can filter whatever you might need.

Keeping the server times would be the easiest part, because otherwise we will get conflicts with the weekday which would have to be calculated each time the database is accessed. Having three people with different timezones in one Galaxytool do not allow saving the results directly in local date and time!

But any other suggestions beside the Layout?

Un1matr1x

« Reply #16 on: 18 December 2010, 19:30:18 »
It is already limited that way: there can be at max. 4 activity events per 15 minutes: one from galaxyview, one from combat report, one from espionage action, and one from player message.

you might collect the activity from galaxyview more then ones per 15 min ... if the user ABC has a * on every planet within 15 min this might be a good sine that he's active in his account (speacialy if the planets are far away from each other) - so i'd say the number of *s within 15 minutes could also help to decide if a player is/was active and should be displayed (bigger bar, number on that, longer bar ...)

And about the localtime ... why not use a js to calculate the localtime from the given time stored in galaxietool to reduce serverload?

Offline eX0du5

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 18 December 2010, 19:44:42 »
The local time of which user in the galaxytool? e.g. One is from Spain, one from Germany and one from Russia.

If we would collect more than one per 15 minutes and you check how often someone was online in the last month on Monday, you might think he is always online on Monday between 20:00 and 21:00 because of multiple entries within that time on the same date. You would not have a normalization on the data.
With our approach you can have at max 30 hits within one month for each  of the quarters between 20:00 and 21:00. Not to forget that these are only indicators but no real information. And the distance between planets say nothing in the time of Galaxytools ;-) I usually scan targets at all his locations to see if he / she is coming online during my attack and to know the complete fleet details at the moment.