Author Topic: Search by researches  (Read 1628 times)

Offline bontchev

• View Profile
Search by researches
« on: 16 January 2011, 06:58:38 »
Currently, GT can search the espionage reports by various criteria - resources, fleets, defense, buildings, etc. But, for some reason, it cannot search by researches. For instance, I might want to know how many players have a high enough Astrophysics level for a 10-th planet, or who has weapons technologies higher than mine - that sort of thing.

So, my proposal is - add the ability to search the espionage reports by researches, too.

Offline eX0du5

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Search by researches
« Reply #1 on: 04 February 2011, 21:13:37 »
The only reason why it is not there is, that there was no real use case for it :-)
What you are trying is some sort of analytics...

Offline bontchev

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 February 2011, 06:29:10 »
Well, I just gave you two reasons for it. ;)

I use GT not only to find victims but also players I should be wary of. For instance, I already use it to locate moons with sensors high enough to see my planets. I'd like to be able to search for players with techs higher than mine, too. And by finding mismatches between the Astrophysics level and the number of known planets, I know that my GT database is not up-to-date and I should start looking for the missing planets.

Is implementing such a search really a problem? I mean, can it be done by just adding to the user interface - or do you have to dig deeper, add new indexes, etc.?

Offline eX0du5

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 March 2011, 22:25:49 »
Usually I would need an index on every field as they are separate columns in the database as soon as someone searches for such an entry without further specifications. But this is the overkill for the database and in those cases a full table scan need to happen.
It is not that much effort, but won't be done with 4.7. We want to get this shipped sooner or later, therefore I have a "feature freeze" to get translations done, test upgrade, upgrade hosting etc.
I will try to incorporate some of those small enhancements you proposed also in 4.8 besinde the bigger changes which are planned.
I am sorry that not many of your requests made it into 4.7 yet, but there were several big topics inside which took all my attention.

Offline bontchev

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 March 2011, 06:21:52 »
Hey, don't worry about it. None of the things I proposed is vital or urgent. As long as they are accepted and you haven't stopped developing the product, I'm happy. Implement them whenever it is convenient. :)