Author Topic: The Statistics  (Read 4831 times)

Offline bontchev

• View Profile
The Statistics
« on: 04 January 2011, 15:02:01 »
There is something definitely fishy with the Statistics page in Galaxytool.

We've done a full update of the database for our alliance - all systems, all galaxies, all statistics - and then I logged in as admin and ran the first half of the admin scripts, in oder to delete bogus entries. As a result, the statistics page of the Tool is still wrong and doesn't match what we see in the game. Careful examination shows that the problems are caused by the banned players - they are still listed by the Tool at their previous places in the statistics page, despite the fact that after the ban they have 0 points and should be listed at the end of the statistics. This often results in the statistics showing bogus entries, like 2 players both at 10-th place, one of them banned.

I read somewhere that the Tool ignores the banned players when compiling the statistics it shows on the Overview page. Maybe it does something wrong when compiling the Statistics page, as a result of this?

In addition, I know that I've bitched about this before, but the filters on the Statistics page really suck. They don't act intuitively. First of all, they are badly designed - they should have 3 states (must be ON, must be OFF and DON'T CARE) instead of 2. Second, I tried filtering out the banned players by checking all the checkboxes except "all" and "banned" - but the result was an empty statistic!

Offline Omar Hawk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: The Statistics
« Reply #1 on: 26 January 2011, 17:08:43 »
I agree with you completely: the reaction on the checkboxes-selections is just weird. I will add this to our todo.

Or better: I will create a bug tracker entry.

EDIT: I quoted you here: http://bugs.galaxytool.eu/view.php?id=452
« Last Edit: 27 January 2011, 16:52:03 by Omar Hawk »

Offline eX0du5

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 February 2011, 22:42:26 »
How would you like to see the ranks in the galaxy view for banned players?
Should we show a "?" for the rank? Or should we show "rank 0" as it is done in Ogame?
But we would still show the score the player had when he was seen in the statistics. The only other option would be to reduce this also to zero, but this would be misleading.

Offline bontchev

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 February 2011, 08:05:36 »
I am not sure that I understand the question... I would like to see the statistics in GT the same way I see them in the game. If the game lists a player as having 0 points and at the bottom of the statistics list (because he's banned or because he's a new player - I don't care), I want to see GT display that many points for that player and list it at the same place in the statistics.

After all, the statistics in GT are based on what the plug-in sends when looking at the Statistics page of the game, no? So, show what is shown there.

Or are you talking about incomplete statistics? Like, when a player has been banned and his points have been set to zero - but the user has looked only at the points page and not at the fleet stats page, so GT doesn't know what the fleet points of that player have been set to zero too? That's fine - just list the latest information that you have received. If somebody wants a more up-to-date information, they should send up-to-date statistics of all kinds.

MrNexz

« Reply #4 on: 13 March 2011, 22:03:38 »
How would you like to see the ranks in the galaxy view for banned players?
Should we show a "?" for the rank? Or should we show "rank 0" as it is done in Ogame?
But we would still show the score the player had when he was seen in the statistics. The only other option would be to reduce this also to zero, but this would be misleading.

maybe you could make a wall of shame with the people who have a banned status, you'll still have m listed but you have them removed from the statistics

there's actually another problem in the statistics
after a few weeks of not updating the statistics and alot of inactives being removed from the statistics, the people that are ranked lower then the last page of the statistics are still shown in the tool statistics
(e.g. when you're lowest ingame statistics page is 2700-2800 and a few weeks earlier it was 3400-3500, the people from 2800 up are not removed)
the problem is that we now have a statistic page with 6900 players in the tool, while we only have 2750 ranked players in our universe :-/

Offline Omar Hawk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 March 2011, 22:31:45 »
the problem is that we now have a statistic page with 6900 players in the tool, while we only have 2750 ranked players in our universe :-/

For that problem, there is the administration page: "Remove players who do not occur in any galaxy view".

Offline Omar Hawk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25 April 2011, 13:31:08 »
"Please check if all those requirements are covered with new stats page."

-> http://galaxytool-hosting.eu/galatool_beta/secret/stats.php
« Last Edit: 25 April 2011, 13:38:13 by Omar Hawk »

Offline bontchev

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26 April 2011, 06:10:11 »
Ooohhh, it is much better now! :D

A few remarks:
  • The "Inactive" filter should have two more values - "(i)" and "(I)" (or whatever the marks in the corresponding language are), so that the user could find only the "recently-inactive" players - not just the inactives of any kind.
  • What is the "Go to row" button for?
  • The table isn't wide enough. Part of the title of the rightmost column is truncated, especially if you sort by it by clicking on it (which adds a black triangle there).
  • When a player/alliance has no status, the "row-wide cursor" makes it invisible. Would it be possible to change the color of the cursor or the color of the player/alliance name with no status, so that they are not the same?
« Last Edit: 26 April 2011, 06:14:30 by bontchev »

Offline eX0du5

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26 April 2011, 12:35:30 »
Ooohhh, it is much better now! :D

A few remarks:
  • The "Inactive" filter should have two more values - "(i)" and "(I)" (or whatever the marks in the corresponding language are), so that the user could find only the "recently-inactive" players - not just the inactives of any kind.
  • What is the "Go to row" button for?
  • The table isn't wide enough. Part of the title of the rightmost column is truncated, especially if you sort by it by clicking on it (which adds a black triangle there).
  • When a player/alliance has no status, the "row-wide cursor" makes it invisible. Would it be possible to change the color of the cursor or the color of the player/alliance name with no status, so that they are not the same?

• Is there a differentiation between i and I from the ingame perspective? When I played it, there was no difference. If there is one, I can add this as addiational filter. - done
  • Omar wanted to have a button to go to rank 3000 and he did not want to scroll and search for it. As the whole data is not loaded yet, "go to row" was the best I could offer to jump deeper into the statistics table. IF you have all records in your database, this will match almost identical to rank.
  • Done
  • I noticed this as well, but the colors which are usually taken when you mark an entry, are not taken into account here as those stats colors are determined and set later on for the hyperlinks of that players. So making the row active has an effect on the cell text, but not on the hyperlink text :-( So far I did not find a good solution for this...

EDIT: I found a solution for the color problem for standard colors when there is no status defined. For all other colors, I would have to keep the color to show the status, but this might sometimes lead to visiblity problems.
« Last Edit: 26 April 2011, 15:05:05 by eX0du5 »

Offline bontchev

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27 April 2011, 06:00:31 »
Is there a differentiation between i and I from the ingame perspective? When I played it, there was no difference. If there is one, I can add this as addiational filter. - done

Yes, there is. A player becomes i-inactive after 7 days of inactivity. He becomes I-inactive after 28 days of inactivity. But! After 35 days of inactivity, the player either disappears, or, if he has bought (not found) Dark Matter in his account, his mines stop producing. When the latter happens, he, of course, remains an I-inactive. This means that the I-inactives are more likely to be "dead" (i.e., non-producing), especially in older universes.

The way you've done it now isn't good enough. First of all, you have removed the "Yes" value. Would be nice to have it back - in case somebody wants to list all the inactive players, no matter whether they are i-inactive or I-inactive. Second, since an I-inactive has both the "i" and the "I" flags set in the database, both the "Inactive" and the "Long inactive" filters show I-inactives. I would like that "Inactive" shows only the i-inactives, "Long inactive" shows only the I-inactives and "Yes" shows both.

Omar wanted to have a button to go to rank 3000 and he did not want to scroll and search for it. As the whole data is not loaded yet, "go to row" was the best I could offer to jump deeper into the statistics table. IF you have all records in your database, this will match almost identical to rank.

Oh, I see; I hadn't noticed the input field to the right of the button. (Perhaps it should be to the left of it, BTW.) Speaking of which, is it possible to make such fields more visible? They are visible enough when the mouse is hovering over them, and they are very visible when the cursor is in them, but the color of their frame is almost the same color as the background, when neither is true.

Offline eX0du5

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 28 April 2011, 09:57:54 »
Stats are changed as described.
I moved the input field in front of the button and brightened up border color for that controls. You may have to press Ctrl+F5 to see the changes.

I had that textfield behind the button because the text was written that way. But most tools I know from the internet also have it in front. I guess this fits better now.

Offline bontchev

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 28 April 2011, 17:39:23 »
Yes, it is perfect now, thanks! :)

I assume, you'll eventually implement such a multi-state inactive selector on the "Search in Database" and "Search in Reports" pages? (As well as the same complex range specifier that you put on the "Combat reports" page.)

Offline eX0du5

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 28 April 2011, 21:50:43 »
Yes,

I am planning to do this. But for this I have to redesign the two pages to use dojo controls which allow easier and better user interfaces. The two pages are quite old (I guess created in 2006 and 2007) and need that kind of rework :-) But this will take some time...
Currently I started to collect all ideas for the report archive to start working on the same.

Offline fl00ri

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 04 August 2011, 05:31:44 »
please improve the sorting/filtering of the statistics.
all variations of sorting should work.
e.g. i'am not able to let the GT sort fleets of the active players
(if i sort by fleet, it switches back to all | if i click then to active, it switches back to the player-sorted list)

you also can add a counter for the displayed amount of players of the sorted list.
it would be nice to know how many active/inactive fleets exists etc.
maybe it would be enough to show the list position in addition to the ranking.

thx in advance

Offline bontchev

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 04 August 2011, 05:46:14 »
The Statistics is being completely rewritten; check the test version of GT.