Author Topic: Version 4.6  (Read 8356 times)

Offline Jmb

• View Profile
Version 4.6
« on: 01 November 2010, 03:50:49 »
Well Tried to download and install version 4.6

I did the modifications to config.php and attributes.php ( I didn't saw them that different that before)

I did a backup of the database with phpmyadmin.

and I ran update.php

and I encountered the problem that when running the script it tells me that I dont have TRIGGER privileges, the problem is that I dont think I can get TRIGGER privileges, nevermind SUPER. Im on a shared hosting service wich uses Cpanel, and when the database was created the user for that database had all the avaible privileges ... any idea?

Thanks in advance
Jmb

Offline Omar Hawk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Version 4.6
« Reply #1 on: 01 November 2010, 14:09:22 »
Ask your provider to enable TRIGGER privileges for your Database if you aren't allowed to do it yourself - I don't see any other solution...

Btw. TRIGGER privileges were introduced after MySQL 5.1.6, so if your hoster upgraded the MySQL version, he may forgot to enable TRIGGERs for all old users.
(Btw. I had the same problem, but my hoster was so friendly to enable this feature for me, after I asked for it ;) )

EDIT: changed needed MySQL version for TRIGGER rights
« Last Edit: 02 November 2010, 18:49:25 by Omar Hawk »

Offline Melk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 November 2010, 10:25:47 »
I got the same problem on shared hosting.
DROP TRIGGER IF EXISTS galaxytool_dummy - Access denied; you need the SUPER privilege for this operation
The problem is, you newer get SUPER on shared hosting, you are limited to your databases. And SUPER gives you administrative privs. to manage all existing databases on current server (like other users).
It means that you should have table galaxytool_dummy BEFORE executing that script. In my account, databases are named like: account_name_smth, that means that I will newer be able to create table galaxytool_dummy. I am pretty sure, that everybody on shared hosting must create db from control panel before using them.
A regular script shouldn't require SUPER, it means troubles in future for everybody (security is one of the topics).

Possible solution is to execute that query on current database from config.php or find another way to check the triggers (like create and drop).

(I have mysql 5.0.90 and PHP 5.2.6)
« Last Edit: 02 November 2010, 10:38:05 by Melk »

Fubar

« Reply #3 on: 02 November 2010, 17:44:04 »
My webhost also does not allow TRIGGER operations for its clients...

Would it be possible to have a new version which does not require this (just make it optional and fail gracefully :) )?
At the moment I have updated to v4.6 and the galaxytool is broken, as the update.php script will not run. Uploads from plugin also don't work anymore :(

geez

« Reply #4 on: 02 November 2010, 22:48:30 »
having the same trouble.
I don't have my own webspace so am using one in the internet, which of course doesn't give me full administrative rights.
Would be sad if the galaxytool was lost for all people who did that until now.

Offline Jmb

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 November 2010, 01:52:21 »
TRIGGER is only needed for the installation?  if so then I would install it locally and they upload the database.

Ask your provider to enable TRIGGER privileges for your Database if you aren't allowed to do it yourself - I don't see any other solution...

Btw. TRIGGER privileges were introduced after MySQL 5.1.6, so if your hoster upgraded the MySQL version, he may forgot to enable TRIGGERs for all old users.
(Btw. I had the same problem, but my hoster was so friendly to enable this feature for me, after I asked for it ;) )

EDIT: changed needed MySQL version for TRIGGER rights

I just checked I have MySQL 5.1.50 in the hosting service, so there is no TRIGGER rights
« Last Edit: 04 November 2010, 02:01:56 by Jmb »
Jmb

Offline Omar Hawk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 November 2010, 15:10:41 »
Well, in 5.1.50, you could easily get TRIGGER rights by your hoster, let me quote the MySQL reference manual:

"CREATE TRIGGER requires the TRIGGER privilege for the table associated with the trigger. The statement might also require the SUPER privilege, depending on the DEFINER value, as described later in this section. If binary logging is enabled, CREATE TRIGGER might require the SUPER privilege, as described in Section 19.7, “Binary Logging of Stored Programs”. (Before MySQL 5.1.6, there is no TRIGGER privilege and this statement requires the SUPER privilege in all cases."

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/create-trigger.html

And in our case, it is really enough to have the TRIGGER privilege.

« Last Edit: 04 November 2010, 15:12:52 by Omar Hawk »

Offline Jmb

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 November 2010, 15:42:54 »
ahh right, I thought that the 5.1.50 was 5.1.5  :P

then I will have to ask for it.

Jmb

Offline XIII

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04 November 2010, 16:16:59 »
Well, I have tried to get my host to activate TRIGGERs. I fully explained the situation politely, said please, and even gave them the link to this thread and links to your install directions mentioning TRIGGERs.

No go. The support ticket finally came back saying that they could/would not do it on a shared server and that all the other MySQL access privileges that they provide should be completely sufficient for managing my MySQL databases. They are a very large host so this will affect a lot of people.

Effectively this means that Galaxytool is dead for the majority of people now, at least since the download for what I now call "Galaxytool Classic" GT 454 "GTC" seems to be gone. A shame too since the newest Firefox plug-in (2.4.3) works better with GTC than the old 2.3.6 plug-in did by far.

Thankfully I still have a copy of 4.5.4 so I guess I'll just have to set that up and give my alliance-mates the bad news after making them wait and getting them all pumped up over GT v4.6 and Bluetool v2.2 ....

In any case, thank you everyone for the fantastic tool and all of the work you have done on it.

Offline Jmb

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04 November 2010, 16:51:04 »
Did you do a back up?

I managed to reinstall 4.5.4 and it was left as it was before. I had to delete the galaxytool in the plugin and set it again bit it worked afterwards. (2.4.3)

btw with who do you have the hosting? or server is in hostgator but Im not the owner so I have to wait for my alliance mate to ask.

Jmb

Offline XIII

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04 November 2010, 19:35:47 »

Thanks for your info regarding DB backup & reuse, that will be helpful for a lot of people. We didn't have root access to our prior GT so we are starting fresh at a new domain that we control. And since the release of v4.6 was announced as being soon at the time we decided to just wait a bit until it came out before using GT again.

The Host that told us they will not allow TRIGGERs is Directi/Reseller Club. A lot of hosting out there is just theirs rebranded. It's actually a very good package now, CPanel etc. In fact everything about it looks & feels almost exactly the same as my Hostgator account but cheaper, and some of their stuff is hosted at "ThePlanet" in Texas just like HostGator. Directi is extremely security conscious these days so I'm not too surprised they turned me down, even though I'm a reseller.

I do have a Hostgator account too but that is personal from a while back, the alliance domain is kept on it's own account and paid up for a year so I won't be moving it. I am curious to know though what Hostgator's stance is on this.

btw: Why exactly does GTv4.6 now need Triggers or Super User? Is this a critical feature and the only way to make GT do what it does? Is having TRIGGERs enabled a security concern for shared hosts? I know that eX0du5 has a dedicated server for his hosting and can run whatever he wants but it isn't open for registration anymore so the rest of us are stuck with what we can afford for our hobby. Perhaps TRIGGERs is the ideal solution for various technical reasons but perhaps GT could be modified to fallback to a less perfect but still functional method for those with no other options?

I've actually installed 4.6 and got it "working". I got the install errors that everyone does regarding needing Superuser etc, but afterwards I just accessed the GT like normal and it works, except that it won't accept Espionage reports from the Firefox plug-in 2.4.3 and perhaps something else I don't recall. That is enough to make it a non-option. I was really looking forward to the report history feature.

In any case, I really appreciate the FireFox plug-in being fixed up so well, it's great! Until this TRIGGERs situation can be fully resolved it would be a kindness to the community to still offer Galaxytool Classic (4.5.4) on your site for those with no other reasonable options.

Offline Omar Hawk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 04 November 2010, 23:02:42 »
Well, hosting is opened again, and you can still download Galaxytool v4.5.4, at least via the German wiki.

It was intended to keep this version for users from German universe 20 ("classic"), but I will add this version to all languages of our wiki, too.

Offline XIII

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 05 November 2010, 00:22:34 »

Thanks!   :)

Offline Omar Hawk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 05 November 2010, 00:36:34 »
btw with who do you have the hosting? or server is in hostgator but Im not the owner so I have to wait for my alliance mate to ask.

Well, I tested two free hosting solutions, that had TRIGGERs enabled, but I had not enough time to find more.
see here: http://en.wiki.galaxytool.eu/index.php/Hosting_providers_and_the_Galaxytool

Seaborne

« Reply #14 on: 15 December 2011, 22:20:48 »
Just found something like this:

what I have done, is create a crone job that insert or updates the forum_mysqlftsindex table which is responsible for the full text search.

this crone job runs every 5 minutes running the following command:

Code: [Select]
mysql "dbname" -u"user" -p"password" < ~/updatesearch.sql
without the quotes...

updatesearch.sql has the following:

Code: [Select]
INSERT INTO forum_mysqlftsindex (id, node_id, body,title,tagnames) SELECT id, id, UPPER(CONCAT_WS('n', forum_node.title, body, forum_node.tagnames)),forum_node.title,forum_node.tagnames FROM forum_node ON DUPLICATE KEY UPDATE forum_mysqlftsindex.body = UPPER(CONCAT_WS('n', forum_node.title, forum_node.body, forum_node.tagnames)), forum_mysqlftsindex.title=forum_node.title, forum_mysqlftsindex.tagnames=forum_node.tagnames;
I hope that what you need and not just a silly answer :)

http://meta.osqa.net/questions/10384/is-there-any-work-around-for-triggers-on-webfaction-shared-host

Basicly instead of creating the triggers in my SQL table all commands can come from the file that's fired up on a certain interval

Haven't possibility to test it yet but maybe this can help to sort out the TRIGGER privilage on shared hosting, as long as the crone job is available ofc.