Author Topic: The future of the Galaxytool-Hosting  (Read 2517 times)

Offline eX0du5

• Administrator
    • View Profile
The future of the Galaxytool-Hosting
« on: 17 September 2016, 23:10:46 »
Hi there,

it has been a long time since I started to host the Galaxytool on a root server for others to use. Free of charge with some ads and the option to donate. This was a big success for quite some time with regards to user numbers and installations. From a money perspective I never made profit in all that years.
Now the years passed by way too fast and the usage of the Galaxytool decreased a lot. From formerly 1000 active installations at the hosting server, we are down to less than 200. Also the number of active users for both browser plugins dropped from over 30.000 to about 10.000. I understand that in times of mobile games OGame is a bit old fashioned :-) Gameforge realized something similar, otherwise they would not have merged so many universes.
To make a long story short: I will shut down www.galaxytool-hosting.eu at the end of October and suse the my money for other stuff.
If you are one of the last 200 instalations, I strongly recommend to download your data as described at http://en.wiki.galaxytool.eu/index.php/Galaxytool-Hosting. It is hard to find any free hoster for the Galaxytool. I am aware of that. That was the main reason why I rent the root server about 10 years ago.

I also know that this might mean the end of the Galaxytool in general because many will not be able to create a local installation for their clan. But lets see how this evolves.
I am making some minor adjustments to the toolbar if needed but I will not release any new major version of the Galaxytool due to time constraints. Please understand that I am not playing OGame since 2005 and really enjoyed working with the community for a very long time. But as time goes by, me kids grew up and my interests have also changed (e.g. mobile app development).

The Gameforge has also a problem with the API for quite some time which seems not to get fixed any time soon. There is a way to fix this also on Galaxytool side. I will not fix this on the hosting solution for obvious reaons but in case of interest, I can post a fix in this board as reference for others.

superjump

Re: The future of the Galaxytool-Hosting
« Reply #1 on: 18 September 2016, 13:20:09 »
I am an old user (and use GalaxyTool sice the beginning).
I just want to thank you for this service that simplified life much.
Have a happy long life! Bye bye  :D

Zephyer

« Reply #2 on: 22 September 2016, 14:51:45 »
I am on of those users that have this installed on his private server @home and uses this in different ogame servers.
Thanks for everything you've been doing since 2005, though I hope you can update or 'fix' the recent change so that the universe can be updated again while scrolling ingame.

Offline EL_PATRON

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 October 2016, 16:52:57 »
thanks a lot for this  ;D ;D that was a great ride since 2009 when I start with your server, is a shame but thank you very much! good life and goo luck with all your projects, and let us know if U have any game or app to probe

Offline V4

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 October 2016, 12:26:22 »
Thank you so much for all you have done for us OGamers.
I know you probably have made up your mind on all this.
Have you considered adding more ads per page?
Definitely room for one on the left of the screen and one or two at the bottom.

Regards,  V4

Offline eX0du5

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 October 2016, 22:27:02 »
I have ads in place and they are blocked by the majority of the users :)
I have a donate button - which is ignored since two years :)
I have had about 1000 active tools some time back, now there are around 200. Times change and people player other games. So I don't want to spend my money on this any more.

Offline V4

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 October 2016, 22:51:06 »
Again thank you for all your support. Sorry that it has been costing you money to keep it going. Best of luck in all your future endeavors.

Best regards,

V4
UNI 1 .org

Offline xdn75

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 October 2016, 01:58:40 »
Hi eX0du5,

It appears new registrations are already disabled at http://www.galaxytool-hosting.eu/.
I was hoping to download the database from some old galaxy tools before you switch off the server. But in order to do that I need to register with a new email address.

I sent you a separate email as well. Could you either send me the galaxy tool data by email or allow me to create two new accounts on http://www.galaxytool-hosting.eu/ for those old galaxy tools so that I may download the data myself please.

The URLs of the two galaxy tools and my email address are all in the email.

Thanks so much for any help.

Regards,
Pete (aka Thunder Child)

Offline eX0du5

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30 October 2016, 09:17:27 »
Registration was only disabled for new tools. If you want to download the old ones, use the email address of that registration and download it with this one.

Offline duvelman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04 November 2016, 12:23:31 »
Hi, I also want to thank you for hosting the GT for those years...

I did not notice this post so it was an unpleasant surprise for me...

Can I still download the database itself so I can host the GT for our alliance please?

Offline eX0du5

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05 November 2016, 15:50:09 »
This was also anounced internally in the tool via message which is shown when you logon. So if you only used to upload stuff but never logged on, then you might have not seen this.
But the server is no longer available, so you won't be able to download it there.